Translate/Traducir

Thursday, May 30, 2013

Life and video games



Life is like a video game. You know you're making progress cause it gets harder. And you can handle that because you've leveled up since the beginning. The increased difficulty makes things more complicated, but also more interesting. If things never got harder, we'd never learn or grow at all. We need the challenges we face. You always level up most after the hardest bosses, after all. Totally a metaphor for real life.

However, in real life, you can't go around smashing random objects expecting to find money. And you just can't jump off a really high cliff into bubbling lava and expect to experience no lasting damage. Wouldn't it be nice if there were save points in real life, where you could go back and redo a level however many times you wanted? Though that might get old after a while. All in all, I think I'd rather stay in real life, but I think video games are a fun break. I've enjoyed Portal 1 and 2, Lego Star Wars, Fire Emblem, Zelda (Windwaker, Ocharina of Time, Twilight Princess and Skyward Sword), and Ratchet and Clank. I should note that I haven't played through any of these by myself. I used to just watch my brother play and give tactical advice (and it was good advice!) but a couple years ago some of my friends taught me to play Portal 2. Fun stuff.

This is not how my brother and I play together. We're actually quite good friends.