Translate/Traducir

Saturday, June 29, 2013

Hope in the Savior's Resurrection

I don't know what to call this post. It's pretty personal and I'm not sure how it will come out. I just found out that one of my closest friends growing up died today. I can't really put into words how I feel. I miss her. I haven't talked to her since before my mission, but we spent lots of time together when I was between 12 and 16 years old.
We used to go to plays together. This amazing woman was actually closer to my mom's age, but she took the time to invite me to go see the high school play with her one year... it was Charlie's Aunt. I didn't know I liked plays before that, but I do now. She must have been inspired to invite me. I needed a friend just like her. After that, I would buy tickets to all the high school plays and musicals and ask her to go with me. We'd hang out and watch old movies. She loved her dogs and was devastated when one of her pets died. She cared about everyone. She was one of my leaders at church, but she would spend time with me because she cared about me, not because she was assigned to. Truly, she was my closest friend in Quincy. I was homeschooled, and while I believe that gave me the best education I could have received, I felt lonely sometimes and I didn't always feel close to the girls my age. I did have friends at church and in my violin group, but we had different schedules and didn't always have time to spend together. So having a friend who made time to be with me was great. I was welcome in her home and she was welcome in ours. I wanted to be like her when I grew up. I still do, really. She was one of the people I missed most when my family moved away. She went out to dinner with us two years ago when we went back to visit, and that was the last time I saw her. I wish I'd had her address to write her while I was in Argentina. Now I'll have to wait a while to say hi.
I feel strange sharing this. It seems like something that I might want to keep in my journal, just for me. But at the same time, as sad as I am and as much as I miss my friend, I want to share my conviction that I will see her again. I reread 1 Corinthians 15 today and I know that what Paul wrote there is true. Jesus Christ died and rose again from the grave, making it possible for all of us to live again. There will be a resurrection. We will all live to see our loved ones again, to stand before God and feel His love for us as He welcomes us home. I want to live so that I can live with God and be with Him and my loved ones for eternity. It's a very simple path. He sent His Son to prepare the way for us, and as we live the gospel, we will make it. That's what hope is. Because I have faith in Jesus Christ, I have hope in the resurrection.