Translate/Traducir

Sunday, July 21, 2013

Plans, hikes and beautiful views

These photos are from a hike
a mile up the Mount Timpanogos trail.
Someday I want to hike to the summit,
but you have to start somewhere.
This week I made an outline of the courses I want to take during my masters program. I'm surprised at how quickly the planning went. It seems so simple on paper, and I know it'll likely be a lot more complicated in practice. But it's nice to have a plan. If I don't have one, I get the feeling that I'm just drifting along, that my life is going nowhere. When I do write out my plan, I can tell that I am progressing towards my goals. It also helps to know that I'm a daughter of God. I know that God has a plan for me, too. He's prepared a way for me to become like Him. It's hard to remember that all the time, but I know it's true.
The lesson in Relief Society today was about the history of the Relief Society, and I loved the way the teacher presented it. In addition to talking about the origins of the organization, she felt impressed to make the point that God and Jesus Christ love us. That made the lesson personal for me because I'd been praying to be able to feel God's love for me. And the lesson today was one of the ways God has answered that prayer this week. I know He loves me; I've felt His love so many times throughout my life. But I needed to hear that again today. I know that God does answer prayers.

I've included some more hiking photos because hiking, for me, is like a metaphor for the difficulties of life. For almost as long as I can remember, I've been nervous about heights, but it is so satisfying to get on top of something and look down and see how far I've climbed. I think that's a good reason to keep a journal: you can look back and see how far you've come in life. There's so many hard things that we have to face, but when we overcome our fears we can accomplish great things. Each of us faces different challenges. And God will help us overcome them as we put our trust in Him. He loves us all equally. We're His children and He cares about us. Our hopes and dreams are important to Him. It meant a lot to me to hear that again today. It was like reaching a refreshing waterfall along a difficult hike.
Climbing on rocks is fun. Hiking reminds me I can do hard things.
It's challenging but worth the effort. Kind of like life.

This is about as close as you can get to the waterfall. It was cool!