Translate/Traducir

Saturday, December 21, 2013

Christmas

There's a lot of things I love about Christmas. Since I was getting tired of grading and when I get tired I tend to grade more harshly, I thought I'd take a quick break and start this list of things I like about Christmas and assorted Christmas memories.

  • I remember setting up the tree with my family, usually the day after Thanksgiving. Along with all the ornaments, we'd put candy canes on it, and the best part about that was that we could pick the candy canes off and eat them later.
  • We always used an artificial tree, but one year, when I was five or six, my parents decided to get a "real" tree for once. So we did. Then one morning as I was leaving for kindergarten, I found the tree tipped over in our living room with the cats looking extremely pleased with themselves sniffing around it. So that was the first and the last time we had a real tree.
  • While we decorated the tree, we listened to Christmas music. Christmas doesn't sound like Christmas without Mannheim Steamroller albums.

The list could go on. Other traditions include the opening of presents, the food, the lights, but the most important thing every Christmas is to remember the Savior Jesus Christ. That is the one thing that never changes. I know that the Savior lives, that He came to earth and established His gospel and His Church, that He died for us on the cross, and that He made it possible for us to return to live with Him and with our Heavenly Father once again. That's the reason for Christmas. I am so grateful for this time of year. Finals have been busy, and I will be busy throughout Christmas break as well, but I am grateful for a time to reflect on the life of the Savior and what it means to me.
Merry Christmas!