Translate/Traducir

Wednesday, January 22, 2014

Thoughts for the New Year

It's almost the end of January and I haven't written a post since last year. I've had a few ideas, but none of them made it from my brain to the computer screen (unless I count the paper I'm writing for an academic conference in March and other assorted assignments). Perhaps, so as not to overly neglect the aforementioned assignments, I will make a quick list of things I'm thinking about. After all, this blog is supposed to be about thoughts, right?

  • Uncertainty. Incertidumbre. Incerteza. Ambiguity. Ambig├╝edad. Ambig├╝idade. Vagueness, in three languages. Not knowing what the future holds. Of course, that's supposed to happen. We'd get bored if everything turned out the way we planned it. But for some reason, it's hard anyway. Ah well, for right now, the plan is to keep moving forward and find out what happens next. 
  • Travel. I'm going to travel this year. It'll be fun. I'm going to Orlando in March for an academic conference, and I'm going to Portugal in the summer. And I'm planning to visit Spain and England while I'm in Europe. Who knows when I'll get to go back again, so I want to take advantage of the trip to see as much as possible. 
  • Writing. I have several papers to write: one for the conference in Orlando (Did I mention it's a Science Fiction and Fantasy Literature conference?), one each for two of my other classes, and possibly another couple of papers that I don't know about yet. I've also started a rough draft of the sequel to my novel, which I plan to finish over the summer, then start polishing in the fall. (hopefully: see the section on uncertainty)
  • Languages. I'm going to learn Portuguese better. Because I'm going to Portugal.
  • Movies. I've seen several movies since Christmas break. Over the break I saw Frozen, which in my opinion is the best attempt yet at a feminist fairy tale, because it manages to create strong female AND strong male characters, all of whom seem real. And it showed that there's more to love than romance. There's sisterly love, love for friends, etc. (And romantic love, of course. I'm not saying that's not important, just that it's not the ONLY important thing). This semester, I've also had the chance to see The Orphanage, Detour, Double Indemnity, and From Up On Poppy Hill. I enjoy my postmodern Spanish novels class because it requires/gives me a reason to see lots of movies and think about them. I enjoy "just watching" movies sometimes, but it's fun to take movies apart and put them together like a puzzle. That's what studying literature is about... at least, that's the part I like about it. I can take a text (a movie, a novel, a short story), and pull it apart and figure out what makes it tick, then I can put it back together. Even books I've read many times contain surprises.
Well, that's all for today. This post didn't go as quickly as I'd planned, but oh well. Have a great rest of the year!