Translate/Traducir

Thursday, May 22, 2014

I'M GOING ON AN ADVENTURE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If you pictured Bilbo running down the road waving his contract in the air as you read the title to this blog post, you're awesome.

And yes, I'm going on an adventure, too! I've mentioned before, I think, that I'm going to Portugal for June and July to study Portuguese with a scholarship. It's a FLAS (Foreign Language and Area Studies) Scholarship and I'm very grateful to the professors and fellow grad students who encouraged me to apply for it. Basically, the scholarship allows me to go to Portugal and learn the language and the culture and the history. And I have to learn a third language for my masters program, so that is it. I'll be working with a tutor for a few weeks, then taking classes at the university for the rest of the time. And on weekends I shall explore! And go to church. Apparently there is a young single adult ward there and I'll try to go to that.
When I finish my program at the end of July, I'm going to Barcelona, Spain. There is an author there who visited BYU last year. Thanks to one of my professors, I'll be staying with him and his family for a couple of days. I want to use his novel in my thesis, so it will be wonderful to talk with him. Then I will visit a few museums in Madrid and try to talk to the author of the other novel I'm using in my thesis. Then I am going to London for WorldCon. It's going to be AWESOME.I'll spend a few days exploring London before WorldCon starts, because I've never been there and I want to get to know the city. Because many of my favorite stories are set in London. (Sherlock Holmes, Doctor Who, Agatha Christie's novels, etc.)
I have no idea when I'll get to go back to Europe, so I want to do as much as I can while I'm there this time. It'll be a grand adventure. I'll be writing about it here, and I shall post photos as well. In the meantime, I'm trying to write and read and finish some projects before I leave. Life is good.