Translate/Traducir

Tuesday, October 14, 2014

Meet the Mormons!

So, you may have heard of the new film Meet the Mormons. I wasn't sure how I was going to enjoy it, but I got to go see it last night in a screening with the director and the editor. It was pretty amazing, and I'm not going to give an in-depth, unbiased review, because I liked the movie. By definition, that means that I'm biased. And it's not because the people in the movie happen to share my faith, but because I *really* liked the film. It's kind of like my love for any of my other favorite films. I'm a geek and a nerd, or whatever you want to call me, and that means I don't hide how excited I am about the things I love. Whether it be Dr. Who or The Avengers or Arrow or Phineas and Ferb or Star Wars or a Terry Pratchet book, I get really excited. And I'm really excited about this film. I'm a fan.

So now, a few specifics about the film. It is a documentary, to start with. I like really well done documentaries, though I think that Being in the World was the only one I've liked this much. And it was unscripted. Totally authentic. That was the only directive the film crew had to work off of: Go out and be authentic, and tell authentic stories. So what you see is what you get. The film is about six remarkable individuals who live their faith. There are hundreds of other good people like these in the world, of many different faiths, and I really feel like a similar film could be made about people from many religions. These people simply put into practice what they believe. And the people and their families in the film were lovely. I found the story of the Candy Bomber to be especially moving. By which I mean it made me cry. Because World War II and the Cold War and people being good to each other anyway. If nothing else, you have to watch that part. But seriously, every other part of the film was just as good.
One thing that the director said that impressed me was that the director said that he wished they had time to show more people, even more diversity. And that would have been really impressive because the film already included people from really diverse backgrounds. The thing about this film is that it's not about the religion, it's about the people and how they live. Which of course includes their faith, but it focuses on the people. I can't pick a favorite story. They were all wonderful. And it made me feel good. It's totally uplifting. I hope that most of my friends if not all will have the chance to see the movie and enjoy it. I think most people will find something to relate to.