Translate/Traducir

Sunday, August 2, 2015

My Easter week: Sunday will come (Adventures in Moving)

The title of my post today refers to a talk by Joseph B. Wirthlin. We talked about it in church today, and it seems to apply really well to this last week. You can read it here, and hopefully it will be clear how it applies. This has been a pretty crazy week, mostly really good, some really rather bad. We've driven 1,600 miles, more or less. It was a good trip, and it was great to see parts of the country that I hadn't seen before. My wonderful parents-in-law drove our moving truck with all our things, pulling Jacob's car, and we rode in my car. Jacob drove, we listened to lots of music, read a book, and I napped a lot.  We stopped the first night in Denver with some of Jacob's cousins, and it was fun to have dinner and meet a lot of family members I didn't know yet. Then we stayed in Topeka on Wednesday night. On Thursday, we drove to St Louis and spent half the day at the Science Center, where we met up with my cousin and her kids. That night, we met up with one of Jacob's cousins at the Gateway Arch, then went for dinner at a nice Mediterranean restaurant. That was the highlight of the trip for me. The last day of the trip, Friday, we crossed through four states. Missouri, Illinois, Indiana and Kentucky. It was fairly uneventful and I slept a lot. I also discovered candy crush on Jacob's phone, so I've been playing that a lot. In order to stop borrowing his phone every time he turns his back, I've started playing on Facebook today.
We got to Lexington right around four thirty and reached the apartment and signed the lease and.... unexpected and unfortunate things ensued. For now, suffice it to say that we are currently looking for a place to live. Until things get worked out, I'll hold off on details of places and names and pictures. As soon as everything is settled, though, boy have I got a story to tell.
The ward we attended today, where we'd love to stay if we can find an apartment within the boundaries, was wonderful. So many nice people and of course it is lovely to have the same Church meetings wherever we go. I've had the opportunity to attend church in Michigan, Indiana, Illinois, Idaho, Utah, Nevada, Mexico, Chile, Argentina, Spain, Portugal, and England. I know that the Church and the gospel are true no matter where I go. I have been blessed to meet so many lovely people because of the Church. It's like an extended family. Plus the lessons today were all about hope. We talked about the Resurrection of Christ and what it means to us. We talked about how Good Friday and Holy Saturday were dark, somber days, which probably seemed to the Disciples to be without any hope. However, that Easter Sunday was full of joy and hope. And even in the darkest Fridays and Saturdays, Sunday will come. I feel like it's Saturday night, but there is a glimmer of hope on the horizon. More than a glimmer, even. I'm optimistic that we'll be able to at least have the paperwork started on an apartment before the end of this week.
I have to admit I felt homesick today, which is an odd feeling when you don't have a home to go to. I go back and forth between laughter and tears because of this situation. I'm missing my old wards, and my friends, and my city. But I know that within a few months, or even a few weeks, we'll get to know the ward, the roads, the grocery stores, and the university, and it will start to feel like home. It'll help when we have a place to put our furniture and can adopt a cat or two, but until then, we'll be okay. Sunday will come.